The Asylum
...Musings amid the chaos...
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Dear world...
Wow. It's been two months since my last update. That's only slightly embarrassing. Oh, well. That's life. Life? Life is a magazine. It costs 25 cents. I don't have 25 cents. Oh, well. that's life. *ad infinitum*

Since my last entry, I have discovered techno/electronica/dance/trance music, ended the semester, visited my mother, visited Nebraska, gained a new sister, done research on performing arts colleges, and taken control of my family. Nothing big.

It's funny how my musical tastes have changed from when I was little. At the same time, there are lots of things that are the same. I really love upbeat music. That's why I listen to electronica. I call it my "Happy/Energy music." It's great to turn on in the morning and get my day started. w00t! w00t! *does happy/energy dance*

I miss school. A lot. I mean, I don't really miss the work aspect of it, but I do miss the people. And I'm not sure why, but they really seem to miss me, too. I honestly don't say that just to get a reaction or foster sympathy. I really, truly can't quite understand why it is that people seem to miss me so much. Maybe I just flatter myself that they REALLY miss me when they only miss me and like to tell me so. Um. Yeah. New subject.
I've managed not to cry since leaving college. I'm proud of myself.

My visit to Texas went reasonably well. I can't tell you what kind of stress I feel when I visit, though. I saw my mother, step-father, half-brother and his family, but I wasn't able to see much of my extended family down there. I was a little disappointed, but not terribly. I have a mental block when it comes to meeting family again.
I just don't like it. I mean, come on! What if they don't like the person I have become? I like me and dealing with people who don't like me is irritating. Do I sound paranoid? Yes? Good. I am.
On a positive note, I did have a lot of fun while I was there. I got to attend a San Antonio Spurs basketball game. OMIGOSH. Have I mentioned recently how much I love basketball? Watching the game was SO much fun. I went with my sister-in-law and she seemed to have a good time as well. The night I was there, the team retired Avery Johnson's jersey in a ceremony after the game. That was amazing.
I also dyed my hair for the first time. *happy dance* Well, ok. I didn't technically dye it. I only got lowlights, but still! They are a reddish purplish burgundy kind of color. I LOVE IT. I don't think I'll do it again for a long time, but I really like them now.

Nebraska was strange. I saw friends from high-school, but it wasn't anything earth shattering. I keep thinking through my high-school years. I was well-liked, but not really "popular." I am relatively pleased with who I was, but I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. Some days I think I was pretty cool and other days I remember the s-t-u-p-i-d^2 stuff that I did before I graduated. Hooooooooly Toledo, is some of that stuff embarrassing. No. I won't tell you what. Anyway, I was reminded how glad I am that I moved to a new state. It feels more and more like a new beginning for my family and me.

I'm still in limbo as to which school I will attend and whether I'm really going to go back to school and which career path I want to follow.... Etc. Some of the colleges I have looked at are AMAZING, but I keep wondering what would qualify ME to go. Again, my issues with self-image crop up. (I seriously need to get over myself.)

So. NEW BABY. Saturday, February 16 at 12:18pm. Abigail Mae weighed 7lbs 13oz and was 20 inches long. She was born by cesarean section, and mom is recovering well. She spent five days in the hospital before going to a relatives' house to heal some more before coming home to stay.In the meantime, I am staying home. I am in charge of my four other siblings.... It's an adventure. No one has died yet, and I think we're over the roughest part of it. We took a couple days to get used to each other and establish who was in charge and who was not. (@_@) Talk about crazy.
Our church and neighborhood have been very kind to us, though. I haven't had to cook dinner for my family once this week. However, I have bagged salad coming out my ears.

That's a very brief rundown of my life, for those of you who care. I think I'm going to write a less personal and more directed post in the near future. (How many times have I said that?)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:
Blogger sabrina said...
MARI!!! omg i haven't been on your blog in forever. i miss you!!! you're not at PHC anymore? i'm still considering Liberty for grad school...ugh or maybe just working...yeah still no clue lol. yay for new babies!!!

♥Sab

Blogger Acolyte said...
so what would constitute big? ;)

You're awesome and your sister is beautiful :D