
I have time and the desire to post... again! Now, this isn't going to be a very happy post. I'm feeling rather depressed again. So you get to hear my thoughts on depression.
I call it the black beast. No matter how many times you kill it, it always comes back in some other reincarnation. The beast takes you in its coils and squeezes the life out of you--slowly, slowly, slowly. At first your desire to live well keeps you afloat and fighting, but as your will is drained the desire to succumb grows stronger.
Depression drags you to the bottom of a deep well filled with slime. The longer you stay trapped with the beast, the more encumbered you become. At last your only desire is to make the suffering stop. Somewhere in your mind you realize suicide is a coward's fate, but you have passed the point of caring.
The talons of the monster pierce your very soul. Its teeth sink into your flesh and pump poison into your body. Your limbs grow heavy. You find it increasingly difficult to keep your eyes open. Colors dim. Happiness and pleasure are distant memories that only serve to remind you how far you have fallen.
Mist clouds your vision and chills you to the bone. You cry out for help, but the sound of your voice falls muffled into the heavy fog that surrounds you. The coils tighten around you and crush the breath out of you, so you cannot cry again.
Ok, before anyone starts suggesting I call the
Suicide Hotline, please realize that I am not that depressed at this point. I've been there recently, but I'm not there now. This is my visualization of depression that I hope can serve someone someday. Don't mind me.
I would like to take the time to point out that just because someone is struggling with depression doesn't mean that they want you to solve their problems. Just shut up and listen. Be a shoulder. Don't worry about saying the wrong thing.
I would ALSO like to take the time to point out that us depressed people are very self-centered. The best remedy for depression is to stop thinking about yourself. Invest in someone else and you'll be amazed at the turnaround. The second-best remedy that I've heard of is medication. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Don't wanna take a pill. Shut up. You ARE a pill. Most people would pop an Advil for a headache, why is a chemical imbalance any different? Take the stupid thing and get rid of that stupid headache.
Now where did I put the number for that therapist again? *wink*
Labels: creative writing, depression, self-therapy
Very poignant description. Very much what depression is like. It's so true that people need to look beyond the "fix". Just listen.
I'm glad you're doing better hon :) Chat this evening hopefully. And brilliant post :)